Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Hildy, Top Ten, Arachnid Excrement

Happy 100th Birthday to Rosalind Russell. Or as I prefer to know her, Hildy:


***

My current top ten:

1. Still Life, dir. Jia Zhangke (to be released in the fall by New Yorker)

2. Two Wrenching Departures, dir. Ken Jacobs

3. Offside, dir. Jafar Panahi

4. Private Fears in Public Places, dir. Alain Resnais

5. The Taste of Tea, dir. Katsuhito Ishii

6. Election & Triad Election, dir. Johnnie To

7. Belle Toujours, dir. Manoel de Oliveira

8. Exiled, dir. Johnnie To

9. Black Book, dir. Paul Verhoeven

10. I Think I Love My Wife, dir. Chris Rock

***

Kenneth Anger on Spiderman 3: "The biggest spider turd that ever dropped from the great big spider web in the sky has landed. We knew because we couldn't escape it." I recommend reading it through.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael J. Anderson said...

Rob, some people will say it's too early for a top ten, but not me. Well done with your #1, but where's "I Don't Want to Sleep Alone"?

7:05 PM  
Blogger R. Emmet Sweeney said...

Call me crazy, but as impeccably composed and beautiful as "I Don't Want to Sleep Alone" was, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was an inferior rehash of "Vive l'Amour." I was pretty bored until that sublime final shot, honestly. Maybe I need to see it again, but that was my initial reaction.

And it's never too early for lists.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home