Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Watch IFC's Cannes Cam!

Every year, IFC sticks a camera on a balcony across the street from the Palais to shoot all the red carpet. And this year is no exception!

CLICK HERE!

In addition, this year, I'm hosting our coverage some of the biggest red carpets -- we did 45 minutes early tonight for the opening film of the festival, Wong Kar-Wai's My Blueberry Nights. We may be back for tomorrow's premiere of Zodiac, and we'll DEFINITELY be doing Saturday night's premiere of the Coen's No Country For Old Men. But even when I'm not on it, the Cannes Cam is live 24/7 and you can turn it on and soak up the Palais atmopshere (complete with natural sound)!

As for My Blueberry Nights, though everyone seems to be tolerating to outright bashing the film, I enjoyed most of it and thought one segment in particular (led by David Straithairn and a done-up-like-Maggie Cheung Rachel Weisz) was quite strong. Norah Jones isn't the best actress but she is a gorgeous onscreen presence: the phrase "The camera loves her," applies here as well as it ever has to anything. It isn't as big, good, or ambitious as 2046, but I don't think it's intended to be. And I found it totally fascinating to see America through Wong's permanently be-sunspectacled eyes. Apparently, everyone's being very quick to write it off. I wouldn't.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wealthy Pete said...

Wow Cannes! Nice Matt. Is there any film festival that you haven't been to, that you really want to go to?

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home