Monday, July 09, 2007

It's Resnais'ing Men


"I'm a great consumer of Wong Kar Wai, Hou Hsiao-hsien, Arnaud Desplechin, and David Lynch, but above all I hope there's something of the influence [in Private Fears in Public Places] of Kim Manners. He directed some 50 episodes of The X Files, and the virtuosity of his shot-breakdown technique and of his mise-en-scene, and the way in which he treated actors' performances, all of it impressed me. He's the best of the best. I'm not an expert in television series, but in Millennium, The Shield, The Sopranos, 24, and others, I find the cinematic syntax more rich and inventive than in the majority of cinema."
--Alain Resnais, in the November 2006 Positif


*he used frequent X-Files composer Mark Snow to compose music for his recent (fabulous) movie, Private Fears in Public Places

Resnais tells a Last Year at Marienbad joke in The Guardian:

"An assassin is arrested by the police for a murder. They know he is guilty. 'But I have an alibi,' he protests. 'I was at the movies when the crime took place.' The detective asks, 'What did you see?' 'Last Year in Marienbad.' 'Tell me the story,' says the detective. The killer can't. Naturally, he is condemned."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home