Saturday, March 29, 2008

Contracampo

In an attempt to expand my brand internationally, I've started writing for the respected Brazilian film website Contracampo, which is starting up an English language section. I'll be writing a regular column about the film scene in NYC in an informal fashion (read: lots of cursing and digressions). It has the jaunty title, "Letter From an Unknown." The first one deals with old man Manoel de Oliveira and the recent spate of film critic departures/firings.

This unlikely setup occurred through my trip to Rotterdam, where I met the ebullient cinephile Luiz Carlos Oliveira, Jr., one of the founders of the site. With our mutual worship of Hou Hsiao-hsien and Clint Eastwood, and our abhorrence of high art/low art distinctions (he's a huge Reese Witherspoon fan), it seemed like a good match, and an invitation to write soon came about. Hopefully I'll get him to write some guest posts on this humble blog as well to continue this hemispheric exchange of overheated cinematic musings.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home