Saturday, February 02, 2008

The Deuce

My second IFC dispatch is up, where I wax poetic about the lovely "The Sky, The Earth, and The Rain". I should have a final wrap-up next week sometime. Right now is the final day of the fest, and there are a few titles that will pass me by. I hear the Swedish coming-of-age/horror flick "Let The Right One In" is surprisingly good, and I unfortunately had to pass on James Benning's "Casting A Glance", as I thought I could catch it at Anthology Film Archives someday.

The award winners were announced last night, and I was delighted that "The Sky" won the FIPRESCI prize (for which I was a junior member of the jury). The Tiger Awards, for which the winner receives $15,000, are given to three titles, which are "Wonderful Town", "Flower in the Pocket", and "Go With Peace, Jamil." The latter film is quite terrible, but the first two are more than worthy. I talk about "Wonderful Town" on IFC, but "Flower in the Pocket" is a funny piece of work. It's about two schoolchildren not trying too hard to assimiliate into Malaysian culture.

I'm off to my penultimate screening, so there'll be more to come.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home