Friday, July 31, 2009

Doings


There's this show called Eastbound & Down. It amuses me. I wrote an article about it for Moving Image Source. You can choose to read it or not. I'm just putting it out there.

I also wrote a review of Funny People (for The Rumpus), another cultural product that tickled my particular fancy.

I've made a promise to myself to write a dissenting view of The Hurt Locker this weekend. I'm only putting it here to force me to write it. Otherwise I'd just watch baseball and massage my belly. So this paragraph is important.

Is everyone starting to compile their best-of-decade lists? Well, you should. Just expect a Tativille and Termite Art free-for-all that will have Termite Artisan Matt and Tati-villain Michael J. Anderson sniping at each other for a week or two (at least: catch their fabulous back and forth on Michael Mann here). I will calmly sit on the outside and contemplate how high Anchorman should be on the list. Something to look forward to.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Matt Singer said...

The great Bill Simmons has already started debating what is the greatest movie of the decade (his eventual choice: ALMOST FAMOUS). I'm not saying ANCHORMAN would be my #1. But I am saying it would be in the discussion.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Mike Lyon said...

I am unafraid to say that "Almost Famous" is a terrifying bullshit choice more suited to a list of Most Overrated Films of the 2000s.

Ooooh!

Anyway, I have definitely been thinking about this, but there are still so many films I haven't seen! The pressure! The sheer, unadulterated terror! Awesome.

9:08 PM  
Blogger R. Emmet Sweeney said...

I love Bill Simmons. But not for his movie insights.

I think I have three locks for the best o' decade list. But we need to put a deadline on this or it'll take me until 2015 to settle on one. So I say we package them with our yearly top ten and have an oily orgy list-o-mania at the end of the year.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Michael J. Anderson said...

I'm doing it early, probably in November. For maximum impact. And I've got ten, though I need to re-watch one of my choices and could see a second replaced.

Also, I might just include Deja Vu. Chew on that, America.

Lastly, I agree with Mike's assessment of the Sports Guy's awful choice. Then again it doesn't surprise me as I strongly dislike Bill Simmons. NBA and NHL people... I'm one of the two dozen or so members of the latter camp, and just can't take his obsession with the former. Come on man, you're from Boston, show some sense.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Matt Singer said...

So when Mike says "I'm doing it early, probably in November." he means "It's basically already done."

And you can read and vote on Simmons' full list of nominees for Movie of the Deacde here: http://bit.ly/18pbIw If you're too lazy to click over it's

Almost Famous (2000), Brokeback Mountain (2005), Cast Away (2000), The Dark Knight (2008), The Departed (2006), Gladiator (2000), Lord of the Rings (2001), No Country For Old Men (2007)

For me only one of those movies deserve consideration for my list (probably easy to guess, knowing me, which one). And I do like ALMOST FAMOUS (and I liked the extended cut on the DVD, UNTITLED, even better). But yeah, not best movie of the decade.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Michael J. Anderson said...

Yeah, that's what I meant by "I've got ten," a rough draft is done (though a major masterpiece at the NYFF could change things).

10:40 PM  
Blogger P.L. Kerpius said...

Singer, I was too lazy to click over. So thank you for posting Simmons' list, even if it's making me gag up my lunch. As you know, I can't take the initiative to come up with these things on my own, so now that I see something already constructed and begging for demolition, I am so pumped up to beat this list in all its sorry-ness.

I can't wait to see what you all pick. An "oily orgy list-o-mania," oh my god!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home