Wednesday, January 28, 2009

YouTube Art: I Loved This Trailer When I Was 14

I still remember seeing this trailer in theaters in 1995. Something -- don't ask me what, I have no idea -- made me think of it now as I'm working on something else, and I thought I'd post it and be like "What a great trailer for a terrible movie!" Now I'm looking at it and going "Why in the world did I like it in the first place?"



I think what got my attention at age 14 was the direct address to camera by Ralph "I'm Just A Wee Bit Too Oily" Fiennes. That's still a technique that's underutilized in trailers and it's still effective here even though a)you have know idea what this guy is talking about b)there's all these words floating around his head and c)there's all this Max Headroom editing, which looks stupid now but in 1995 was the epitome of awesomness. Even though this guy isn't making any sense, even though he looks like he hasn't showered in two and a half weeks, the fact that he's talking directly to you in this almost seductive way makes it interesting.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrea Janes said...

Hey, I think this guy used to be my Ecstasy dealer!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wait, *was* this movie terrible? I'm actually asking, because I definitely saw it during its theatrical run when I was 15, and I liked it pretty well, but, you know, I was 15. I remember thinking Fiennes was awesome in it and then not thinking that about Fiennes again until I saw In Bruges a year ago. But I really haven't seen it in awhile and while some stuff I liked as a teenager was spot-on (Danny Boyle, yeah I saw A Life Less Ordinary twice!), it's hard to fully trust anything I haven't seen at all since then.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Matt Hauske said...

I thought this trailer was lame-o. SOOOO Fall 1995. And I think by then Max Headroom was already yesterday's news--I Love the 80's, 1987 stuff. The movie was pretty good trash though.

1:11 AM  
Blogger P.L. Kerpius said...

I actually really like the trailer! It reminds me of some kind of experimental video art with a lot of hollywood charm! I don't know about that, but in any event, I'm curious about the movie now.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Wealthy Pete said...

I was wondering, who picked out the pink text font? Then I saw it was directed by a woman. Am I right people? High five!

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home