Thursday, January 04, 2007

Watching Movies in 2006

Last year, I kept a written record of every movie I watched, in theaters, on DVD or VHS, on television, in airplanes, at festivals. Each entry lists the date, time and location I saw them. I didn't include rankings or star ratings in them because only a loser would do something so nerdy.

This is the second time I've tried this: in 2005 I started keeping the same meticulous records, but thieves stole my computer at the halfway point of the year, forcing me to take a half-a-year total and double it to achieve a guestimation of the total movies I watched. That estimate was 344 — and I realize now that given how many more movies I watch in November and December compared with the rest of the year, that that number is probably a little higher than the reality.

If not, I'm off my game this year. I watched 147 new movies released in 2006, and 163 films released before that, for a total of 310 films. Assuming an average of 100 minutes a film, I spent about 516 hours watching movies in 2006, or a little more than the equivalent of 21 days out of the 365 in the year. Did I figure that out right? It sounds a little low and I'm terrible at math.

Good thing I don't keep track of all the comics I read or this would become a really pathetic tally of my existence.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been using IMDB's My Movies feature to keep a list of the films I've seen. I can also rate them and sort them by rating.

I'm not sure if it records the date of when you added it or not, but you can add that in a note (by clicking the plus sign) in the list.

You can also make the list public and publish the URL on your blog.

I have two lists: one for films I've seen and another for films I want to see. You can easily move the film from one list to the other.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Wealthy Pete said...

That's a lot of movies. I always like figuring out how much time spent doin' things. I calculated I've spent about a day of my life listening to the theme to The Simpsons. Doesn't compare to the 120 days I spent on the Bus in my life.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since 2003 I've kept notebooks with the same kind of log. Mine is slightly different in that I include the format of the movie (e.g film, video, DVD, tv broadcast..), along with its release date and the date I viewed it. I keep notes or just a few sentences of thoughts on each film, which is subsequently the basis for my blog, Seen.

Though, never have I consciously kept track of how many movies I've seen. I'm content with "a lot."

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home