Sunday, January 02, 2011

Singer's Best of 2010


Published in conjuction with Tativille and Ten Best Films' Mini-Poll, here are my favorite films of 2010. My complete list, along with my thoughts on each film, is on IFC.com. In abridged, comment-free form, my picks are:

1)Alamar
2)Mother
3)Black Swan
4)Winter's Bone
5)Exit Through the Gift Shop
6)The Social Network
7)Sweetgrass
8)Blue Valentine
9)Dogtooth
10)I'm Still Here

Honorable mentions in alphabetical order: Catfish, Cyrus, Everyone Else, Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench, Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work, The King's Speech, NY Export: Opus Jazz, The Other Guys, Splice, Tiny Furniture


By my count, I saw 137 "new" movies in 2010, twelve less than I saw in 2009. I saw 255 older films, almost exactly as many as last year (when I saw 260). As always, here's a list of the best older films I saw for the first time in 2010:

5)Vanishing Point (Richard C. Sarafian, 1971)
4)The Red Shoes (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1948)
3)The Duellists (Ridley Scott, 1977)
2)The Exterminating Angel (Luis Bunuel, 1962)
1)The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Peter Yates, 1973)

And, last and certainly least, a hale and hearty salute to my favorite so-bad-they're-good discoveries of 2010:

3)Death Wish 3 (Michael Winner, 1985)
2)She (Avi Nesher, 1982)
1)L.A. Streetfighters (Richard Park, 1985)

1 Comments:

Blogger P.L. Kerpius said...

While I haven't seen many of the films on your list yet, I have one comment to make: we have got to make it a tradition to make a top five or 10 "old movies that are new me in X year" every year.

Do you know what I saw this year? ON THE TOWN (1949), and it's wonderful, bright, exciting, purely fantastic cinema! How could I possibly assess my year in film and not mention it? We're really not being true to the documentation of our histories without these new films. The top 10 for the year proper has its own integrity, but let us take note of non-current-year movies too. Separately, of course, but I think we should. These are our experiences, and, after all, they inform how we engage and assess the current cinema.

Let's see if we can get Mr. Tativille to take on that task too...

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home