Thursday, August 28, 2008

By One Woman's Request: The 12 Movie Meme

'Meme' is one of those words I was perfectly happy living my life not knowing about two years ago. Now everybody and their sister's got these memes all over their blog and I have been blackmailed, emotionally physically and mentally into joining in. I am nothing if not a follower.

One P.L. Kerpius charged us here at Termite Art with creating a 12 Movie Meme in the style of the one first posted here, wherein I imagine I'm programming a twelve part movie series at the New Beverly Cinema in Los Angeles. Ms. Kerpius' own list, a cinematic tour of the world, is here.

The rules state any 12 movies can be used, and any theme or themes are fair game. So my film series, "Matt Singer: A Narcissistic Tribute," will run only movies that have meant a great deal to me. No additional or individual explanation is required, though I have provided specific screening instructions when necessary. My twelve films, to be screened in this order on consecutive nights (except where noted) are:

Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)


Gimme Shelter (Albert and David Maysles, Charlotte Zwerin, 1970)


Take the Money and Run (Woody Allen, 1969)


My Winnipeg (Guy Maddin, 2008)
-With Guy Maddin in attendance and providing narration


Spaceballs (Mel Brooks, 1987)


The Sting (George Roy Hill, 1973)


L.A. Confidential (Curtis Hanson, 1997)


Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967)
-Screening in 70mm


Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
-Screening in the most worn 16mm print available


The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (David Zucker, 1988)


Gymkata (Robert Crouse, 1985)
and The Apple (Menahem Golan, 1980)
-A Midnight Double Feature. Audience Participation Encouraged









And there you have it. Now I'm supposed to rope five of my friends into doing this, like some impossibly nerdy chain letter. But the Pamma Jamma already named the only friends I have with blogs. So the chain ends here. Unless Rob wants to do one of his own as well.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger P.L. Kerpius said...

Hey, at least your honest. All in the name of fresh blog content! Yay you.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Wealthy Pete said...

Cool concept, I'll be there!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Matt Hauske said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Matt Hauske said...

RE: Clip from The Apple! -- When did it become possible to film my inner thoughts, and why is Menahem Golan not paying me royalties?

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home